Pages

Friday, July 1, 2011

Tips for Writer's Block

The typical, modern writer is working with a word processor, with the flashing cursor that makes a mockery of the best of us and the instant internet access and… oh look, kittens! Anyone who knows how to type well knows how easy it is to move their fingers without pay attention and how this leads to looking around while typing, easily distracted. Distraction is the worst kind of writer’s block for me.

The best solution I’ve ever found for writer’s block is hand writing. The fact that you have to focus on the words as you write them, as well as to keep them aligned on the page, keeps you focused on the words you need to be coming up with. It helps prevent distractions and even when I am actually stuck on what I’m trying to write I find it helps the words flow better.

It also helps me get more writing done because when I’m transcribing it back onto my computer I get to edit at the same time which means less work during a formal edit later on.

So my advice to anyone with writer’s block, find a pen that writes well and you’re comfortable with. My favorite is a roller ball pen, always green ink. Get a notebook that you’re comfortable with as well. Again, my favorites have the spine on top since I’m left handed and normal notebooks are a pain. Sit down somewhere and start writing by hand. Even if you switch back to a word processor in a few minutes, it’ll still jump start this writing process.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Write Space and Q10 are very basic word processing programs designed to keep distractions to a minimum. I like Q10 since you get the option of having typewriter sounds! Since these are still on the computer, however, the distractions aren't completely removed.

Post a Comment