Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011


I don’t always enjoy classes or homework or tests but I can tell you one thing, I love being in school. I love learning new things. I love being exposed to new ideas and new ways of thinking. One of what I consider to be my most creative- not to be confused with one of my best overall- short stories was spawned in one of my spanish classes where we were taught the literal of “putting on make up” from spanish to english was “to make yourself up.” Which isn’t terribly different from the english phrase, just words scrambled around differently but I started thinking what if someone could wake up every morning and make up exactly how they wanted to be that day.
Learning new ideas enhances creativity. Learning new ideas gets the brain running. Learning new ideas helps prevent us from developing an “inside the box” method of thinking that time, cultural influence and a lack of stimulation will foster.
I will be graduating in a year and my greatest concern is not what job will I get or if I will end up just living in a  cardboard box with no internet, though both of those are up there. It is whether or not I will maintain enough of an interest in the world around me to continue exploring and exposing myself to new ideas. 
I have begun making a point to use sites like Tumblr, TED talks, Dark Roasted Blend and the “sparks”  section of Google+ to help me find stories and articles that were new and interesting to me. I treat these feeds of information that I’ve set up for myself like a morning paper of sorts. A dose of new ideas with my morning coffee.

0 comments:

Post a Comment