Pages

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sometimes you need a break

What I am writing on tonight is also what I am going through. First off: apologies. I’ve been under a lot of stress and illness lately and haven’t had time to dedicate to my weekly postings.

That said, it made me think about my topic. I haven’t been writing much for myself this semester. I’ve had too much on my plate. But now, finals ending, I find myself flooded with ideas I can barely wait to type out.

People who hand out advice like Tootsie-Rolls will tell you to always write. And you should, as you should practice an instrument or your painting skills. But any artist knows sometimes you need a break from the big stuff. I pushed all of my major stories aside and instead would jot down snippets when I needed to write. Because forcing myself, stressed, anxious and unwilling, was only going to harm my stories and make them convoluted. A frustrated artist always makes frustrated art.

So chill. Step back from what you’re laboring over for a while. When you come back, it’ll still be there. And better for the break.

0 comments:

Post a Comment